- The band's new demo CD Shadows of the Past
is available now. The CD runs approximately 35 minutes with three songs, Shadows of
the Past, Ice and Simple Man, and edit versions of two of them. The CD is
enhanced with computer data such as pictures, lyrics, useful information and direct link
to the band's home page.
- THE BAND
DEEP THOUGHT is a five-piece band
from Basel, Switzerland, which loves progressive rock and which wants to win a growing
number of fans for this bombastic musical style. The band incorporates style elements from
the sound of early GENESIS and MARILLION, KANSAS or ARENA
who, with their progressive rock music found a big crowd of fans. Although the band is
influenced by these bands, they exclusively record and perform their own material (no
cover-songs) and, just like the above-mentioned bands, DEEP THOUGHT play
their songs in their own, unique style. The aim of the band is to play sophisticated
music, in which all instruments have their crucial share of the sound and therefore cannot
simply be replaced by, for example, a drum computer. Thus, varied and meaningful songs are
created which may just as well be a little longer sometimes than the listeners are used to
from radio play. The band consists of the following members: Martin Altenbach on drums,
Patrick Merz on vocals, Marcel Oehler on guitar, Dominik Pfleghaar on keyboards and
Dominik Rudmann on bass. This line-up plays together since March 1998 and after several
gigs have turned into a well-oiled team. The set consists of 2 hours of powerful
progressive rock. The band sees itself as a live-band rather than a studio band, since the
show is more awe-inspiring with the live ambience and the cheering crowd. Additional
effects like Fog or multimedia lightshow further enhance the spectacle. However, the
quality of the music stays always the main focus of the show.
- 06/93 Marcel Oehler (guit) and Domink Pfleghaar (keyb) get to
know each other by an ad in a music magazine and start composing some songs together.
- 04/95 After a short period with another drummer in '94, Beat
Hagman joins the band on drums.
- 06/95 Raphael Schefold (bass) joins the band. The band calls
itself Deep Thought from now on.
- 12/95 First mini-gig at a private party
- 04/96 Hanspeter Olloz (voc) joins the band. Some lyrics are
created and added to the music.
- 12/96 The first demo tape gets recorded. Raphael Schefold (bass)
leaves the band.
- 04/97 Beat Hagmann (drums) and Hanspeter Olloz (voc) leave the
- 05/97 Dominik Rudmann (bass) joins the band.
- 06/97 Martin Bammerlin (drums) from the locally well-known
progressive rock band SAPPHIRE is temporarily "borrowed" until
a new drummer is found.
- 08/97 Martin Altenbach (drums) becomes the definite drummer of
the band. A second demo tape is recorded.
- 03/98 Pat Merz (voc) joins and completes the band.
- 08/98 Recording of the first Demo CD with vocals in the current
line-up. First public gig at the "Youth culture days" in Reinach near Basel.
- 1999 Several concerts in and around Basel
- 04/99-09/99 New songs for the second Demo CD are digitally
recorded on improved 24-Track studio equipment in their own studio.